Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Seriously Marr-ed!!

Today I was going to write a really cool post with lots of orange coloured furniture (which I'm really into at the moment). I'd downloaded the pictures I was going to use and everything, but then, lo and behold, I came across this article referencing the comments of a certain Mr Andrew Marr made at Cheltenham Literary Festival last month, and to be honest, it really rather P****d me off. Of all the people in the British media industry, the person I least expected to sound like a Luddite, was Mr Marr. Below are the comments which have incensed me so much on an otherwise uneventful Tuesday afternoon:

"A lot of bloggers seem to be socially inadequate, pimpled, single, slightly seedy, bald, cauliflower-nosed, young men sitting in their mother's basements and ranting. They are very angry people.", "OK – the country is full of very angry people. Many of us are angry people at times. Some of us are angry and drunk. But the so-called citizen journalism is the spewings and rantings of very drunk people late at night."

Excuse me, what about the so-called professional journalist spewing and ranting whilst sober and in broad daylight, about a topic they clearly haven't given much consideration to when it is their job to do so - much more inexcusable surely! Let me point a few things out to Andrew Marr here:

Fact number one - there are more female bloggers than male -which could be a reason why bloggers are constantly being swiped at by male journalists (just a thought?)

Fact number two - there are many bloggers out there that spend vast amounts of time (unpaid predominantly) to create content which they care passionately about. It's not about play acting at being journalists, that is a different role.

Fact number three - without wanting to sound like Nostradamus here, blogging as an industry is only going to get bigger - jump on the Bloggin train early if you want to keep a strong media presence in the future.

Fact number Four (and the last I promise). Mr Marr has actually written blog posts himself in the past, so he is he calling himself socially inadequate, pimpled, single, slightly seedy and bald?

Hello, and the winner of 2010 Darwin Award is ... Andrew Marr!

4 comments:

  1. Let me see. Socially inadequate? Hmmm. Sometimes maybe. Pimpled? Well, I'd rather not say really. What else? Single? Well, sort of, but technically not I guess. Slightly seedy? Hey, ain't we all? Bald? Not yet. Beginning to notice that it could soon happen though. Cauliflower-nosed? Why that? Why would he draw that conclusion? Nose shape seems of little relevence here. Young man? Ooh, I like it. Thank you Mr Marr. Angry person? Nah. What's the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheh! Thanks for sharing those nuggetts of wisdom Graham; on form today I see - just bear in mind who's doing the cooking for the bookgroup tonight!! (and who's choosing the next book, I could always make you read James Joyce's Ulysses!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more Smudgie - there are always certain quarters of the press that give sermons about the importance of freedom of speech and demoracy, but obviously Freedom of speech and democracy have to be based on their terms and conditions!

    ReplyDelete