Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Return of the Riot Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl!

I'm not generally attracted to the crime fiction genre of literature as I have an aversion to grisly acts of violence and badly written prose. So I was a bit sceptical when "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was offered up as the next book for a reading group that I attend. I've mentioned this book to a few people now and it seems like the whole universe has either read the book or watched the film. Now that I've actually read the book I can understand the appeal. It does have a very sleek double plot, which unravels completely differently to how you'd expect it to. However, the main draw is the Dr Martin wearing , emotionally-bankrupt computer-hacking protagonist, Lisbeth Salander. All this got me thinking of the fantastic 80's Tank Girl comic strip from Jamie Hewlett (yes, he of the "Gorillaz" fame). We are now beginning to see grunge creeping back onto the catwalks. Perhaps after years of high heels, lipgloss and Cosmopolitans, it might just be time to dig out those out those old L7 records, dust off your tattered copy of the "SCUM Manifesto" and go forth and kick the new decade into touch with a pair of oversized Docs!

No comments:

Post a Comment